QUEEN OF MIXING BOWLS
THE MARGRETHE BOWL
The Margrethe bowl has been a star in the kitchen for almost 70 years, appearing on millions of culinary stages around the world. The bowl was designed by Sigvard Bernadotte and Acton Bjørn’s design studio in Copenhagen, and in 1954 it was named after the current Danish monarch, Queen Margrethe II. The Margrethe bowl is made to last, and multiple generations know and love the Margrethe bowl for its excellent qualities and many benefits. The original and unsurpassed design has remained unchanged over the years and is characterised by details including its perfect stackable shape, superb handle, practical pouring spout, non-slip ring at the base, superior scratch-resistant surface and its durability.
WE LOVE COLOURFUL IDEAS
Many different colours
THE ORIGINAL MIXING BOWL
The Margrethe mixing bowl is one of the most popular and durable kitchen products, and more than 25 million have been sold. The range includes multiple sizes, materials and colours, as well as lids. 5-year warranty.
from back room
Rolf Fahrenholtz and Stig Jørgensen wanted to add a set of mixing bowls to Rosti’s range of melamine products. In 1947 Rosti purchased mixing bowl samples in all imaginable sizes, shapes and materials and asked a large number of housewives about the bowls advantages and shortcomings. The results revealed that housewives wanted a curved bowl that was spacious and yet high enough to allow whipping and stirring without the contents spilling over the sides. The bowl should also have a pouring lip and a good handle for a perfect use.
The next step was to find a designer who could reconcile these requirements with a timeless and functional design. The choice fell on Acton Bjørn and Sigvard Bernadotte’s design studio in Copenhagen, which at the time was one of the few studios in Scandinavia working with industrial design. There wasn’t a great deal of money available for the fee, so not much time was to be spent on the brief, according to the studio’s internal instructions. Fortunately the designers got it right the first time round, and with four colour suggestions for a small extra payment, the task was completed. Rosti now had a bowl that united function, quality and design.
Named after a niece
In 1950 the bowl went into production. Some years later, Sigvard Bernadotte wanted to give it a special name. Bernadotte was the son of the Swedish King Gustav VI Adolf, the brother of the Danish Queen Ingrid and thus the uncle of Princess Margrethe. In 1953 the law governing the succession to the Danish throne was changed, and suddenly 13-year-old Margrethe’s name was on everyone’s lips. Bernadotte asked the Danish court for permission to use the princess’s name for the bowl. He received permission to do so, and the next year the bowl was given its name: the Margrethe bowl.
The bowl was subsequently introduced for Christmas 1954 in three sizes, 2, 2.5 and 3 litres in white and pastel colours yellow, blue and green. The collection was expanded throughout the 1960s to include many different sizes and colours and the bowls were fitted with rubber rings at the base. Lids were also manufactured for all bowl sizes.
The Margrethe bowl has become an award-winning Danish design icon that has been depicted on stamps and which also has a place in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York. On a worldwide basis, more than 25 million Margrethe bowls have been sold.